Saturday, July 4, 2009

Japanese Mango Imports in 2008

by David Ivanovic

While wandering in the fresh produce section of a Seiyu store in Chiba Prefecture (east of Tokyo) in June 2008 (after the VD incident…), I could not but stop and admire the exotic fruit section. What got my attention was the Australian mango section: all perfectly riped, carefully wrapped and almost whispering to me how great they would taste! I didn’t mind the JPY 1,000 price tag (approx. US$10), I was charmed!

It’s been a while now since I haven’t followed mango imports in Japan, and I was once more surprised to realize how little the import volumes were, despite the obvious popularity of mango in the country. In 2008, a little more than 12,500 t. were shipped to Japan, for a CIF value of JPY 5 billion (roughly US$ 50 million).

japan mkt share mango 2008Mexico is by far Japan’s number one supplier, with 45% of all imports in 2008 provided by this origin. Shipments from the Philippines amounted to nearly 30%, followed by Thailand (13%).

filipino mango seiyu Just for fun, I have included today’s retail price of an Ataulfo mango from the Philippines (above), which at about $US1.50 represents the cheapest mangoes available in Japan. Now look at the link below and admire the Japanese grown “Eyes of the Sun”: http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=4248

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It’s my first time to commenting anyplace, when I got this post I thought I might also make comment due to the present wise post.

Mango exporter pakistan